OPEN HOUSE WEEK
From Saturday 23.7. to Friday 29.7.2022, daily visiting hours 12-18.
Every year Pellinge Hembygdsförening (the local heritage association) arranges an open house week on Klovharun. During this week, you can privately visit the island with your own boat or participate in the daily guided tours (see heading “guided tours”). Pellinge Hembygdsförening has a representative at the cottage during the whole week. A short guiding on Pellinge, Tove Jansson and Klovharun is available on request in Swedish, Finnish or English. There is no entry fee during the open house week, but you are welcome to make a voluntary donation during your visit. The funds will be used for the maintenance of Klovharun.
Commercial entrepreneurs, travel agencies, event organisers etc. are allowed to arrange trips to Klovharun and the cottage only by special permission granted by Pellinge Hembygdsförening (PHF). Staying overnight is not possible. During other times the cottage is in private use and closed to visitors. Special permissions for visits outside the open house week can be granted by Pellinge Hembygdsförening well in advance.
Before your visit
- If you arrive by boat: bring fenders, an anchor and enough long ropes with you. There is no jetty on the island and landing possibilities are few. Be prepared to queue for landing especially during sunny and calm weather.
- The PHF representative will instruct where to land. The guided tours have a strict timetable and need to have free access (no boats or anchor ropes) in the small bay. Exact information on timetables is available on the spot.
- The maxium group size is 12 people.
- Dogs, cats and other pets are not allowed on the island – not even on leash – due to the nesting birds.
- The island and cottage are privately owned and therefore commercial visits are not allowed without the permission of PHF. You are allowed to take pictures, record sound and film on the island for your own personal use. In case you wish to use the material professionally or commercially you should have a permission granted by PHF well in advance and it is liable to a fee. The use of drones is prohibited. For further information you can contact the intendent on pellingeklovharun(at)gmail.com.
- Bring with you drinking water, wind-, rainproof and warm clothing and wear steady shoes.
- The terrain is challenging and the cliffs can be very slippery. The island is not suitable for people with restricted mobility.
- Take some cash with you in case you intend to do some shopping at the farm shops etc. in Pellinge. Credit cards are not accepted everywhere.
- Klovharun is a unique island with a vulnerable and sensitive nature. Our aim is to preserve the cottage with its surroundings as authentic as possible and therefore the place is open for the public only during the open house week. This results in high visitor numbers and means that you might have to wait for your turn to enter the cottage. The guided tours have strict timetables wherefore the queuing system cannot be applied to these groups. We ask for your understanding and positive attitude in this respect. Take this into account when planning your timetable.
- Only a few people or one family can enter the cottage at the same time
- It is prohibited to touch any items and pieces of furniture in the cottage.
- The guides coordinate the visits to the sauna.
- When walking around, watch your step for birds’ nests, flowers and other plants. Don’t pick anything as a souvenir including rocks. Watch out for ticks.
- Look after your children and teach them to respect nature. Jumping down from the bridge is forbidden. Some cliffs are very steep and can be slippery at times.
- Visits are only allowed during the announced times, staying overnight on the island is not possible, not even in an anchored boat.
- If you enjoy a picnic, remember to tidy up after the meal.
- The tiny outhouse on the island is closed for visitors.
- People visit the island and cottage at their own risk!
Please see www.visitpellinge.fi if you want to know what is going on in Pellinge during the summer. Here are a few examples of places worth a visit while you are there::
Farm shop selling locally grown vegetables, potatoes and yarn, self-service, open 24/7, Sundövägen 5, www.sundo.fi.
Pellinge Summer Market
A versatile and very popular summer market open Saturdays 9-12 a.m. and in July even Wednesdays 5-7 p.m., Sandholmsvägen 162, locally caught fish, fish delicacies, vegetables, jams and cordials, archipelago bread, baked goods, handicraft, flowers and boats. Pellinge Hembygdsförening sells books, maps, post cards etc., some entrepreneurs do not accept card payment, www.visitpellinge.fi
“The place” to meet, a licenced café with a daily menu, petrol station, miniature golf, sauna for hire, guest harbour for boating people, open 7 days a week during the summer, Sandholmsvägen 162, www.visitpellinge.fi
A charming village shop with a good choice of goods, open every day in the summer, Gamla Söderbyvägen 44, www.soderbyboden.fi
Artist Terttu Schroderus-Gustafsson displays and sells her paintings and post cards in an art gallery by the sea, open Saturdays and Sundays 12-16 during the summer and by appointment Monday-Friday during the open house week, tel. +358 40 705 7461, Eidisvägen 261
Farmer shop Smeds Gunnel
Berry, fruit and cereal products, honey, self-service, open 24/7, Söderbyvägen 330, www.smedsgunnel.fi
Summer flowers, herbs, tomatoes and raspberries, Bastuhamnsvägen 12, www.nybondastradgard.fi
Pellinge Hembygdsförening’s museum Hörbergsgården open summer Saturdays 12−15, exhibition with Pellinge photos from past decades, annual midsummer day party at 1 p.m. and children’s party the first Wednesday in July at 3 p.m., Hörbergsvägen 10, www.pellingehembygdsforening.fi